Bloomfield College is seeking strategic relationships with other schools (partnership, merger, affiliation, etc.) and philanthropic support from the higher education and corporate communities to enable the four-year institution to continue its vital mission — creating educational pathways that are often not otherwise available for minority and low-income students.
Located in the New Jersey-New York metropolitan region, Bloomfield College offers academic programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, attracting both commuter and residential students to its tree-lined, 12-acre campus situated in a residential neighborhood close to downtown Bloomfield.
The mission of Bloomfield College is: To prepare students to attain academic, personal and professional excellence, and to demonstrate exemplary civic engagement in a transcultural, national and global community. Programs of study are rooted in the liberal arts, and assist students in obtaining the skills, knowledge and values they need to become empowered individuals engaged in renewing themselves, their relationships, their workplaces and their communities.
Recognized as one of the most diverse national liberal arts colleges in the United States by U.S. News and World Report, the College offers the lowest tuition among the private four-year institutions in New Jersey.
- Location: The College is located in northern New Jersey just 15 miles from New York City in historic Bloomfield. Eleven (11) NJ Transit lines stop within walking distance of the vibrant campus, making for an easy commute to New York City and other desirable locations.
- Academic Offerings: Bloomfield is a “workforce-ready” institution, building on a strong liberal arts core and offering programs in nursing, education, business, creative arts and technology, natural sciences, behavioral sciences, and the humanities. The highly respected Frances M. McLaughlin Division of Nursing boasts a 94 percent licensure exam pass rate, and its Bachelor of Science in Nursing program was recently ranked no. 4 in New Jersey by Nursing School Almanac and no. 7 in the state in the U.S. News & World Report 2022 Best College’s rankings in its first-ever Undergraduate Nursing Programs category.
- Faculty: There are 44 full-time faculty, 84% of whom hold doctoral or terminal degrees. The average class size is 13, while the student-to-teacher ratio is 13:1.
- Rankings and National Recognition: Bloomfield College is nationally recognized as a Minority Serving Institution of Higher Education (MSI). Under that designation, the College is the only four-year college or university in the state, and one of the few in the nation, to qualify under federal grant guidelines as both a Predominantly Black Institution (PBI) and a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI).
- Accreditation: Bloomfield College is chartered by the State of New Jersey and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). The College’s accreditation was most recently reaffirmed in 2017. The College’s Statement of Accreditation Status is maintained on the MSCHE website. Additionally, the College’s Nursing division is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) and its Education division is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Enrollment and Student Profile: A key strength of the College is the rich diversity of its students. The College’s commitment to serving first generation students from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds is critical to its mission. For fall 2021, total enrollment is 1,300 students. 91% of all students are from diverse socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds with 71% of all students eligible for federal Pell Grants.
To initiate a confidential discussion regarding a significant partnership with Bloomfield College, please contact Bloomfield College Vice President for Enrollment Management Kevin Cavanagh at email@example.com