- B.A.Salem State University
- M. DivHarvard University
- M. Philosophy,Union Theological University
- Ph.D.Union Theological University
- Dr. Nixon Cleophat holds an M.Phil (Master of Philosophy) and Ph.D. in Systematic Theology and Social Ethics at Union Theological Seminary in New York City (2010 & 2014)
- Attended Harvard University and earned a Master of Divinity (M.Div.) in Biblical Studies and Political Theology (2006)
- Earned a BA in English and Secondary Education at Salem State University’s Honors Program (2003)
Teaching Position at Bloomfield College
- Associate Professor in Religion
- Indigenous religions, including African Religions (West African Vudun) as well as African-derived Caribbean religions such as Haitian Vodou
- Liberation theologies (Black Theology, Latin American Liberation Theology, African Liberation Theology, Womanist Theo-ethics)
- Queer theory
- Ecological ethics
- Systematic theology
Book and Chapter Publications
- Recently, he has published “Vodou as the Embryo and Marker of Haitian Socio-historical Identity,” in Shackled Sentiments: Slaves, Spirits, and Memories in the African Diaspora, Eric J. Montgomery, ed. (Lanham: Lexington Books, 2019).
He has co-authored a textbook
- A Critical Approaches to Religion: Race, Class, and Gender. San Diego: Cognella Publishing, 2019
He is a co-editor of two collections of an anthology
- Vodou in Haitian Memory. New York: Lexington Books, 2016.
- Vodou in the Haitian Experience. New York: Lexington Books, 2016.
In the anthology, he also contributed two chapters:
- "Haitian Vodou: The Ethic of Social Sin & the Praxis of Liberation"
- "Haitian Vodou, a Politico-Realist Theology of Survival."
- Dr. Cleophat relies on Haitian Vodou as a critical lens to examine the ethic of social sin and the praxis of liberation in Black Theology and Christian Realism.
Dr. Cleophat’s Likes and Hobbies
- He loves light pink, baby (sky) blue, and white are his favorite colors. He loves different types of red wines as long as they are not sweet or sour. He enjoys taking long walks in the park. He is a decent cook. He finds cooking to be cathartic in times of stress and other life’s ordeals. When he is not in the classroom, he’s often home watching terrible reality tv shows.
- B.A.Mansfield University of Pennsylvania
- M.A.Colorado State University
- Ph.D.University of Nebraska-Lincoln