Orientation FAQs

Orientation FAQ

As a new student where can I go for help and support in dealing with my first year at college?

You have a number of resources available to you as a first year student at Bloomfield College.

• If you require a general answer to a question, feel free to stop by the Center for Student Leadership and Engagement (C.S.L.E.) that is located in the Student Center on the first floor.  The Student Center is currently located at 26 Austin PlaceTalbott Hall.  C.S.L.E. staff can answer any general questions that you may have regarding student activities and organizations at the College, locations of academic resources at the College, direct you to the correct person at the College that you need to see, and answer any questions that you may have about Bloomfield Township and the surrounding area.

• The Learning Resource Center on the Quad by Schweitzer Hall contains the Center for Innovation and Teaching to Enhance Learning (C.I.T.E.L.). They provide tutorial services, placement testing, and on-line resources. They have a number of individuals that can answer any questions that you have about studying for tests, writing papers, and preparing for class.

• The Office of Residential Education & Housing located within the Franklin Street Residence Hall is your source for questions if you are a resident student who has questions your residence hall, living with your roommate, or if you have a special need to be addressed.

• For commuter students, the Commuter Lounge is located conveniently in the Student Center lower level. Computer stations, commuter lockers, comfy furniture and a television are here for your use.

• The Student Center has several student lounges and areas for your recreational use.  Deacon's Den, located in the Student Center first floor,  has food services available for all students, a large screen television, fireplace and seating areas.  Deacon’s  is a great place to relax, eat, and mix and mingle with your friends between classes.  The Game Room, located in the Student Center lower level has a pool table, ping-pong table, as well as three gaming consoles including x-Box 360, Wii, and PS3.

• The Wellness Center is also located in the Student Center on Floor 3.  The Wellness Center includes, Health Center, Personal Counseling and Spiritual Life/Chaplain. If you need to talk with somebody confidentially about a health related matter, these College staff members are there to help you!

When does New Student Orientation begin and when does it end?

New Student Orientation will be held on January 15th, 2020 from 9:30-3pm. Check-in from Orientation will be from 9:30-11am in the Deacon's Den of Talbott Hall. Orientation is one-day of meeting new friends, staff members, and other BC Students, as well as getting to know Bloomfield College, it’s layout, services, and culture.

What kinds of activities take place during Orientation?

New Student Orientation is jam-packed with activities and sessions designed to help you navigate your way around Bloomfield College. You will hear from various campus offices and support services, such as the Center for Career Development, the Wellness Center, Information Technology, Academic Affairs, Student Financial Services and more! There will be fun activities that will help you meet new people.

Do I need to RSVP for Orientation?

Yes. Please RSVP by visiting the Student Information and Registrations page of the Orientation website.

When do I move into my Residence Hall?

All students living on campus during the 2019 Fall semester will check-into their Residence Halls on Thursday, August 22nd from 10am-3pm under the tent on the Quad. Resident students who cannot demonstrate Immunization clearance will not be issued a residence hall room key and will not be permitted to reside in on-campus housing until immunization is obtained.  For more information and location contact the Office of Residential Education and Housing at 973-748-9000 ext. 1247.  Please clear your immunizations prior to August 1st to insure you will be ready to go and cleared for move-in.

Is there a dress code for Orientation?

No, students may wear appropriate clothing of their choice.  We do encourage comfortable clothing and shoes, as we will be moving around campus for events, tours, and activities.

Do I have to bring anything to Orientation?

  • A positive attitude and open mind to learn all you can about Bloomfield College.
  • Be sure to bring your usernames and passwords for your IT accounts which were mailed over the summer.  These are needed to access computer during various sessions.
  • Be sure to bring your required documentation for your BCPass.  Visit the website by CLICKING HERE.

Do I need to submit my Immunization Record?

The Office of Admission should have sent you the immunization form via mail. The forms are also available on the Orientation Home Page. Please return it as soon as possible. You may attend New Student Orientation even if you have not returned it to Health Services. VERY IMPORTANT INFO: In accordance with New Jersey State laws, it is extremely important for you to submit your completed Immunization forms or to have completed health immunization by obtaining the required vaccinations.

What if I cannot find my Immunization Record?

You might have had already had the vaccinations. A good place to start would be your primary care doctor or your last high school or college which you attended. When completed, return it to the Health Services Office by mail, by faxing it to 973-249-0413, or by dropping it off directly to the Health Services Office (Student Center, 26 Austin Place Floor 2).  Student Center Location will change in late July.  Contact 973-748-9000 ext. 1360 after July 15 for location information.

Where can I get my vaccines if I need them?

Do check with your primary doctor. If you have any questions about health clearance, please call the Office of Health Services at 973-748-9000, ext. 1360. The fax number for Health Services is 973-259-0413.  Health Services will be providing vaccinations during Orientation.  Please check the Orientation schedule for times and location.

Where do I go to register for classes?

Go to the Advising Office located at 229 Liberty Street to make an appointment with one of the advisors or call 973-748-9000, etc. 1759.

Where do I go to clear my tuition bill and fees?

Student Financial Services is located in Knox Hall, on the 1st floor.  Their phone number is 973-748-9000 ext. 1202 or ext. 1212.

How do I know where my classes will be located?

Classroom assignments are going to be posted on the first day of classes in the College Hall lobbies on all three floors.  You can also log onto Webadvisor to find your classroom assignments online.  You will learn how to access and use your webadvisor through sessions offered in New Student Orientation.

What do I do if I want to drop/add a class?

You have to fill out the Add/Drop Form and bring it to the Registrar's Office. These forms can be obtained at the Advising Office or the Registrar's Office.

Where do I go to get my Student ID?

Your Student ID, known as the BCPass, can be obtained in the ID Center.  The ID Center is located in 185 Liberty Street.  It will be open during New Student Orientation. If you have any concerns about your ID such as it being lost or damaged, you must go to the ID Office for further assistance.  You will need to bring proper government identification to be issued a BCPass, please visit the website and review the 'Identity Verification Page' to know what you need to bring to have your BC Pass Issued.  You can visit the site by CLICKING HERE.

Where can I buy my books? Are there used copies of textbooks available?

The Barnes & Noble Campus Bookstore is located on the first floor of the Franklin Street Residence Hall.  Used books are available for many courses, but they get sold quickly. Consider visiting the bookstore as soon as you find out which books you will need for your classes.

I want to get a job on/off campus. Who should I ask for help?

There are numerous work-study and student employment opportunities on campus.  As well as opportunities for academic and paid internships.  Contact Center for Career Development, located on Austin Place, at 973-748-9000, ext. 1645.

Who do I contact about special needs or to register for assistance with special needs/disabilities. Who should I ask for help?

Contact Services for Students with Disabilities, in the Learning Resources Center located in Vorhees Hall, at 973-748-9000, ext. 1645.

What if I need to go to a pharmacy, supermarket, or to buy some clothing?

There are several pharmacies, a small market, several clothing stores, and quite a few restaurants within walking distance of the Bloomfield College campus. Please see the Local Info page for more details.

What is the College’s Official Telephone Number and Address?

The telephone number for the college is 973-748-9000, which will connect you to the switchboard operator who will direct your call to the appropriate office. The official mailing address for the college is as follows:

Bloomfield College

467 Franklin Street

Bloomfield, NJ 07003

All students living on the Bloomfield College campus will receive a mailbox from Residential Education and Housing where they can receive mail from the US Postal Service. Students will be able to sign up and get a mailbox key from R.E.H., at the time of move-in or by visiting their offices located in the Franklin Street Residence Hall.

What happens when Orientation is over?

Your college career at Bloomfield College officially begins! You have now been properly oriented to the College, its resources, and its staff. All of the faculty and staff at Bloomfield College are here to help you succeed in all of your academic and co-curricular endeavors. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask us for help. The Office of Student Affairs is located on the second floor of 208 Liberty Street and our phone number is 973-748-9000 ext. 1245.

© Bloomfield College 467 Franklin St. Bloomfield, NJ 07003 973-748-9000