Transfer students who apply and will be transferring in more than 15 course units (60 college-level credits) need not submit high school transcripts or SAT/ACT scores.
Coursework completed at a regionally accredited college or university or program with a grade of C (2.0) or better will be accepted, provided it is consistent with the Bloomfield College curriculum. Please be aware that only credits transfer and not grades. A student's grade point average at Bloomfield will reflect only coursework completed at Bloomfield College.
Transfer students must complete a minimum of 8 course units (32 credits) in Bloomfield coursework and at least three courses required for the major (second major or minor) to meet the Bloomfield College residency requirements and qualify for a degree from Bloomfield College. Although credits accepted in transfer count toward the 32 course units required for graduation, the specific applicability of these credits toward course requirements must be approved through the transfer evaluation and advisement process.
Applicants with an A.A., A.S., A.A.S./R.N. (for students seeking the BSN), B.A., B.S., or M.A. degrees from regionally accredited institutions will have the general education courses of the approved transfer program accepted by Bloomfield College as stated in the New Jersey Transfer Articulation Agreement. Grades accepted in the major are subject to the minimum grade requirement of C (2.0) or better. Students must have graduated with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher on a scale of 4.0.
Transfer credits which are not approved as applicable toward any specific course requirements will count as electives. Transferred courses may apply toward major, minor, general education, and/or elective requirements. In some cases, it may be necessary to complete more than the minimum number of course units required for graduation from Bloomfield College.
Accepted students will receive a "Record of Transfer Credits" by mail after each official transcript from previously-attended college(s) has been reviewed by the Office of Advising and Registration. Courses taken more than three years prior to admission at Bloomfield College must be evaluated and approved for transfer by the academic program coordinator. Courses that are not approved are not transferable.
Students with upper class standing (i.e., those who have completed 14.25 course units or more) are not permitted to take courses at a community college or other two-year college for transfer to Bloomfield College.
A maximum of 24 course units from past coursework may be earned by submitting any of the following to the Admissions Office for evaluation:
- Scores achieved in Advanced Placement Examinations of the College Entrance Examination Board
- Credits earned at other accredited colleges and universities
- Coursework taken at non-accredited institutions or organizations recommended for baccalaureate credit approved by the American Council of Education (ACE) and listed in Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education. (Coursework taken through non-accredited institutions or institutions not approved by ACE or listed in Accredited Institutions of Postsecondary Education will receive credit upon recommendation of the appropriate division chairperson and completion of six courses (24 credits) at Bloomfield College with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better).
- The International Baccalaureate degree as well as courses may be accepted from approved institutions in foreign countries (with evaluation by World Education Services, Inc.)
- Scores achieved on examinations taken through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or DSST examination, used to earn college credit
- Credit earned through the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA).
Transfer Degree Requirements
Each degree encompasses three overlapping phases: General Education coursework, a major program of study, and free electives. This format applies to all students and is guided by the College’s academic expectations and graduation requirements.
To be eligible for a baccalaureate degree at Bloomfield College, each student must:
- Complete a minimum of 32 course units
- Have a 2.0 cumulative grade point average as well as a 2.0 grade point average in the major (with the exception of Nursing, which requires a 2.5 grade point average, and Education, which requires a 3.0 grade point average)
- Complete a minimum of 8 course units at Bloomfield College
- Complete the last 8 course units at Bloomfield College
- Satisfy all the General Education and Major requirements
Transfer General Education Requirements
- General Education requirements are waived for transfer students with an Associate of Arts (AA), Associate of Science (AS), Associate of Applied Science/Registered Nurse (AAS/RN, only for students seeking a Bachelor of Science in Nursing), Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BS), or Master of Arts (MA) degree from regionally accredited institutions as stated in the New Jersey Transfer Articulation Agreement.
- Any General Education requirement can be fulfilled with the appropriate transferred course.
- An Associate of Applied Science (AAS), other than the AAS/RN, does not waive any General Education requirements.
- The fact that a course is waived from a student’s General Education requirements does not mean it is also waived from a major requirement. Only the Division Chair of the major can waive a course from the major.
Double counting: In some instances, a course may fulfill more than one requirement. A course may count in a major and/or minor and/or General Education. Although the course may fulfill two requirements, its credit value does not double.
Find more information about transferring to Bloomfield College, as well as a list of our articulation agreements.