A talent with numbers can lead to a diverse career. A mathematics degree opens the door to a broad range of careers in education, finance, economics or strategic planning.
Please review the recommended sequence of courses.
What you’ll study:
Theory and applications in algebra, geometry, calculus and statistics.
What you can do:
Become an actuary, statistician, banking professional, economist or math teacher.
- Actuaries are critical to the insurance industry. By using mathematics, statistics and financial theory to assess the risk of an event, they help insurance agencies develop policies that serve those in the path of disaster.
- In the mathematics program, you could study cryptography, which is the use or deciphering of code and a critical function in computer network security and international intelligence.
- Expected job growth: of mathematicians is projected to grow 21 percent from 2014 to 2024, much faster than the average for all occupations. (source: bls.gov)
You could be …
A statistician: Median pay $80,500 per year. Statisticians use statistical methods to collect and analyze data and to help solve real-world problems in business, engineering, health care or other fields.
A high school math teacher: Median pay $58,030 per year. High school math teachers help prepare students for life after graduation. They teach and apply basic math skills that students will need to attend college or enter the job market.
An actuary:Median pay $100,610 per year. Actuaries analyze the financial costs of risk and uncertainty. They use mathematics, statistics and financial theory to assess the risk that an event will occur, and they help businesses and clients develop policies that minimize the cost of that risk.
A financial analyst:Median pay $81,760 per year. Financial analysts provide guidance to businesses and individuals making investment decisions. They assess the performance of stocks, bonds and other types of investments.
(Source: bls.gov and payscale.com)
- B.A.State University of New York at Binghamton
- M.A.City College of New York
- M.S.Rutgers University
I am Interim Instructor in Mathematics for the 2020-2021 Academic Year. Previously at Bloomfield College, I was an Adjunct Lecturer for several years.
My academic background includes master’s degrees in Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science. I have taught in several colleges and universities and three community colleges. My primary career was in Information Systems and Applied Research in the telecommunications industry. There I was fortunate to be part of large-scale computer systems development, integrated circuit software design, and international telecommunications standards organizations.
I have always loved teaching and I am very happy to be working at Bloomfield College. I have also worked in Math Learning Centers and taught in two high schools where I am a Certified Mathematics Teacher.
- B.S., M.S.Stevens Institute of Technology
- Ph.D.Walden University
Grace Cook, Ph.D.
Grace Cook is an Associate Professor of Mathematics at Bloomfield College. She has been a part of the college since 2013. She is a member of the Mathematical Association of America, Golden Key, Kappa Delta Pi, and Delta Phi Epsilon. She has previously taught at the high school level and worked as a test developer, statistician, and engineer.
Dr. Cook has a Ph.D. in General Education from Walden University (2014) Dissertation Title: A Case Study of Curriculum Based Organizational Change in an Elementary Teacher Preparation Program, a M.S. in Applied Mathematics, a Graduate Certificate in Applied Statistics from Stevens Institute of Technology (2001), a B.S. in Mathematics, Minor in Literature from Stevens Institute of Technology (2001), and is a New Jersey Certified Teacher in Mathematics.
- B.A.Bucknell University
- M.Ed.William Paterson University
- B.S.University of Strasbourg, France
- M.S.University of Rennes I, France
- B.S.St. Joseph's College
- M.B.A.Long Island University
- M.S.Mercy College
- B.S.Alexandria University
- M.A.New Jersey City University
- B.A., M.A.Rowan University
- A.A.County College of Morris
- B.S.Kean University
- M.A.Montclair State University
- B.S.Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey
- M.A.University of St. Mary
- B.A.Bloomfield College
- B.S.State University of New York, Purchase
- M. Ed, M.B.A.Rutgers University
- B.A., B.A., M.A.New York University
- B.S.Moravian College
- M.EdMontclair State University
- B.S., Ph.DZagazig University, Cairo, Egypt
- M.S.Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
- B.S., M.Phil., Ph.D.Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyala, Indore, India
- Ed.D.Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- B.S., M.S.St. John's University, Staten Island
- B.S.The College of New Jersey (Trenton State)
- M.A.Grand Canyon University
- M.S.Dowling College
- B.A., M.A.Montclair State College
- Ph.D.New York University
- B.A.Portland State University
- M.A., Ph.D.University of Oregon