When you major in Creative Writing, you gain knowledge and skills in writing and speaking, which positions you well for a successful career in any field. You’ll be ready to become a writer, an editor, a publisher or a journalist, or you can lay the groundwork for a career in marketing, public relations, teaching or law.
What you’ll study: Writing, poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, drama, print journalism, grammar.
What you can do: Become a professional writer, a journalist, an editor, a lawyer or a PR specialist.
Please review the recommended sequence of courses.
Students have interned at:
- Writing from the Margins Literary Institute
- Publishing houses
- Non-profit organizations
- Media outlets
- Public relations agencies
- You’ll lead group discussions and class projects.
- Bloomfield College alumni have won prestigious awards in such areas as poetry.
- You’ll pitch ideas in front of an audience.
- You’ll learn through reading and writing but also through watching films, listening to music and studying the current media.
- Bloomfield College hosts its own three-day program celebrating poetry and the written word..
You could be …
A writer: Median pay $61,240 per year. Writers develop written content for advertisements, books, magazines, movie and television scripts, songs, blogs and other types of media.
An editor: Median pay $57,210 per year. Editors plan, review and revise content for publication.
A public relations specialist: Median pay $58,020 per year. Public relations specialists create and maintain a favorable public image for the organization they represent. They design media releases to shape public perception of their organization and to increase awareness.
(Source: bls.gov and payscale.com)