How long does a semester study abroad program last?
These programs last one semester, but depending on the country, the beginning and ending dates will vary.

When are they? 
Semester programs usually take place during the fall and spring semesters.

Is there an application?
Yes. The first step is to come to the Registrar's Office to  discuss your plans. You will fill out the Bloomfield College Study Abroad Pre-Application. The pre-application asks for your contact info, GPA, major,  and the names of countries where you are interested in studying. Depending on which semester of study, you may start the formal  application process after filling out the pre-application. Applications for some specific semester programs are available in the Registrar's Office.

Will Bloomfield faculty be there?
No. Students studying abroad for a semester will be studying independently.

What GPA do I need to apply for Study Abroad?
Bloomfield College belongs to CCIS, the College Consortium for International Studies, and our students have access to 94 study abroad programs in over 30 countries. Most programs require a minimum of a  2.5 cumulative GPA,  but some programs require a 3.0. All students who apply must be at least a sophomore (completed at least 26 credits). You can consult the CCIS website for info on specific programs: http://www.ccisstudyabroad.org.
The College also belongs to the American Institute for Foreign Study (AIFS). The minimum GPA is also 2.5 for many programs. Consult their website for more information: http://www.aifs.com

Do I need to know a foreign language?
The need to know a foreign language will vary according to the program. However, there are several countries, besides England, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, et al., which offer program courses in English.

Do I need a passport?
Yes, you need a current, valid passport from the United States or from your home country.  New U.S. passports take approximately 4-6 weeks for processing.  The cost is $110.00  for an adult passport book + $25.00 execution fee.  Expedited service for processing passport applications within 2-3 weeks costs an additional $60.00. 

Do I need a visa?
Travel to most countries does require a visa.  Visas are obtained from the embassy of the country to which you are traveling.  The cost of a visa is set by the host government. Visa requirements for a specific country can be found on the U.S. Department of State website at http://travel.state.gov/travel

Do I get college credit for semester programs?
You will receive course credits for all courses which you pass with a grade of C or better, and the grades do transfer over. Your study abroad course grades will count in your  Bloomfield College G.P.A. Therefore, it is very important to study hard when you are abroad. Courses taken abroad can count towards your General Education requirements and major requirements depending on approval by the department chairperson. Please see your faculty advisor and the CGS Director as soon as possible to determine whether and how your chosen study abroad program will fit into your academic requirements. 

You are required to be a full time student when you study abroad for a semester. You should be aware that in many countries each course is 3 credits, not 4 credits. Therefore, you must register for 4-5 courses in the study abroad institution to be full time (minimum of 12 credits). 

Is financial aid available?
If you receive federal, state, and college grants and loans, you can apply this financial aid towards the costs of studying abroad. In addition, international scholarships such as the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship and program scholarships, such as the ones for CCIS  (College Consortium of International Studies) and AIFS (American Institute for Foreign Study)  are specifically targeted for study abroad. The College offers some partial study abroad scholarships.  The Maureen Grant Study Abroad Scholarship is available to Honors Program members.  (Please see your faculty advisor or Dean Carolyn Spies regarding the Honors Program.) 

What about medical emergencies?
Health insurance is included in the cost for CCIS and AIFS programs.

Will I need a medical exam and waiver?
Yes, you will need to provide evidence that you are healthy enough for the travel and activities for your program.  The BC Health Services Office offers free medical examinations for this purpose.

Will I need vaccinations?
Travel to certain countries does require vaccinations.  For example, travel to Africa requires vaccination for yellow fever.  Check the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website for links to information on health at http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/

Does the US Department of State website have a section for students?
Yes, http://studentsabroad.state.gov/html-site/StudentAbroadHome.html.  The website contains U.S. Embassy telephone numbers, packing lists, recommendations for staying healthy abroad, voting when abroad, and other very useful information.

Who do I contact for more information and application materials?

Faneza Hoosain-Ally, located at 229 Liberty Street or at 973-748-9000 x1322.

Where can I find out about other study abroad programs?
Studyabroad.com  http://www.studyabroad.com/
Institute of International Education    http://www.iie.org/
Go Abroad  http://www.goabroad.com