Academic Advising FAQs

Who is my advisor?

All first year students and undeclared students are assigned a professional academic advisor. You can find your academic advisor listed at the top of your schedule in student planner or in your success network on Starfish

How many credits am I taking?

Bloomfield College is on a course unit system. Each course unit (1) is equivalent to 4 credits. For example: 4 course units x 4 credits =16 credits (Note ".5" cu courses = 2 credits)

How many courses should I take each semester to graduate in 4 years?

Students must complete a minimum of 32 course units to earn a college degree. Therefore, you must take 4 full course units each semester to graduate in 4 years.

How many courses do I need to be considered a full time student?

In order to be considered a full time student, you must be registered for a minimum of 3 full course units. You must be a full time student to be eligible for scholarships, campus housing and athletics. However, you must take 4 full course units each semester to graduate in 4 years.

What is the process to change my major?

If you decide to change your major, you must first meet with your professional  academic advisor to discuss your new curriculum plan. Then, your professional academic advisor will guide you to the change of major form to officially submit your new major.

What if I want to add or drop a class?

The add/drop period occurs during the first week of school. You will need to meet with your academic advisor to request and process class changes.

What if I want to withdraw from a course?

You will need to meet with your professional academic advisor to discuss the withdrawal process. Withdrawing from a course may affect your graduation time frame, financial aid, resident or athletic eligibility. Together you and your advisor will decide on a plan. You will need your academic advisor to process your withdrawal.

Can I transfer credits from a county college during the summer?

First-year students and sophomore students (students who have completed less than 14.5 cus) are eligible to transfer certain courses from county colleges. Juniors must transfer courses from a four year college. You will need to meet with your academic advisor to discuss specific courses and fill out an off campus form. Your gpa must be 2.0 or higher to take classes off campus.

How do I know if I'm considered a freshmen, sophomore, junior or senior?

Class Standing:

Seniors-More than 23.25 cus

Juniors-14.25-23 cus

Sophomores-6.5-14 cus

Freshmen-0-6.25 cours units



Will my courses be in person, on zoom, or on blackboard?

Your schedule on student planner will show one of the following:

"Asynchronous"-these courses will only be through blackboard. You will need to access the course through blackboard on the first day of school

"Synchronous"-these courses will list a time slot for zoom. You will need to log onto zoom at the specific time listed.

"Lecture" - If only a time and day is listed with the word lecture next to it, this course will be held on campus at the specified time and day

© Bloomfield College 467 Franklin St. Bloomfield, NJ 07003 973-748-9000