Living is the art of loving. Loving is the art of caring. Caring is the art of sharing. Sharing is the art of living. If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.”
Booker T. Washington
To generate and promote opportunities for service, the Student Volunteer Center, a student run facility under the guidance of the Center for Career Development, provides information about and connects students with opportunities within the surrounding communities. The Student Volunteer Center exists to encourage and define, challenging volunteer opportunities, which support the mission of the College. Community Service is an important part of the Bloomfield College experience. Social responsibility is taken seriously here.
The Student Volunteer Center exists to encourage and define challenging volunteer opportunities, which support the mission of the College.
The Top 10 REASONS to Volunteer!
- You will have the opportunity to broaden your understanding of others and help break down barriers of misunderstanding, mistrust and fear.
- When you help others, you ultimately help yourself.
- You can make a make a difference about something you care about.
- You will learn a great deal and develop new skills.
- You will gain insight about who you are and what you can do.
- You will meet interesting people and do challenging things.
- You will begin to think in new ways.
- You will enhance your communication skills.
- You will be able to explore career possibilities
- You will be engaged in a GOOD thing to do!
Students can meet one on one with a Student Volunteer Center Intern or a Career Counselor, who will discuss available opportunities that match the individual student's interest and skills. We often reach out to the community to find the ideal service position. In addition, positions are posted on our on-line Job Board, BC Career Connections: Students.
Here is what you need to do to locate volunteer positions:
Step 1: Go to: BC Career Connections: Students website
Step 2a: If you already have an account, log in and follow steps 3-5 listed below
Step 2b: If you do not have an account, create one.
- Click on "Student".
- Click on "Register Now" and complete the process.
- You must use your Bloomfield email address as your User name. You may create your own password.
Step 3: Do a "Search for Jobs" – by selecting the following:
- Location – choose NJ (or NY if you can volunteer in that state as well).
- Job Types – choose VOLUNTEER
Step 4: Click on the volunteer job titles that appear.
- You will be able to read a full description of each opportunity, as well as instructions on how to apply for each volunteer position.
Step 5: Be sure to follow the specific application procedure provided for each opportunity.
Step 6: Record your Community Service
Once you are offered a position, please add this information to your BC Career Connections profile.
Other to sites for search:
- Volunteer Match: web's largest and most popular volunteering destination
- Idealist.org, Action Without Borders
- The Volunteer Network; National Council of Jewish Women i.e. NCJW for Essex County
- NJ Governor's Office of Volunteerism
For more information, please contact
Student Volunteer Center
Center for Career Development
12 Austin Place, Bloomfield, NJ 07003
973-748-9000, ext 1250