We invite you to take the CAREER challenge!
EXPLORE, FOCUS, EXPERIENCE and ACHIEVE
Careers don’t just happen. They take planning and preparation. Ultimately, your goal is to have a successful, rewarding career and lifestyle that match your interests, values, skills, and personality. The Center for Career Development is your partner in this process. The staff is here to work with you to:
- Define your career goals
- Understand the relationship of majors and careers
- Set annual career development goals by creating individualized Career Action Plans with your Career Counselor
- Develop career management and professional skills
- Gain related career experiences
While our website provides you with valuable information and links to on-line resources, we cannot stress enough the importance of working with one of our Career Counselors who can counsel, guide and coach you through the process and who will help you develop a goal oriented action plan to ACHIEVE annual individualized career development goals. Take charge of your future by making the most of available opportunities. Your career begins TODAY! Our goal is to help YOU make your CAREER DREAMS a reality!
Where do you begin? Meet with a career counselor! He or she will help you explore how the different majors Bloomfield College offers and related careers match your interests, values, skills and personality. From there, we can help guide you through the process of researching career fields of interest, talking to upperclassmen and professors about their experiences, conducting informational interviews with professionals in the field, joining a student chapter of a professional association, shadow a professional in your chosen career, attending career panels, networking events, and career fairs, assist you with obtaining a part-time job or volunteer opportunity in your field of interest and applying for an obtaining an internship.
Experience is one of the best teachers, and a necessary complement to your academic and career development. It is never too soon to start! Some easy tips to help you gain experience that will be necessary for your future include:
- Visualize: See yourself in action
- Test Limits: Find out all that you can do
- Focus: Apply what you are learning in your classes
- Grow: Develop new skills
- Explore: Test out potential career fields
- Practice: Become professional in your thinking and actions
- Engage: Expand your network
- Apply: Gain pre-professional experience through an internship
- Interact: Volunteer in your fields of interest
The Center for Career Development offers the following services to help you achieve your goals:
- One-on-one meetings with career counselors
- Weekly Workshops/Information Sessions/Panels/Career Fairs
- On-line simulated practice interviews
- On-line videos, resume and cover letter samples, and tutorials
- Assistance in maintaining a career portfolio of your accomplishments.
- Assistance in obtaining an internship
We encourage you to stop by our office location at 12 Austin Place, Bloomfield, NJ 07003 and meet with our staff. Your future begins today!