VIEW THE CSLE MONTHLY CALENDAR.
The Center for Student Leadership & Engagement professional and student staff encourage you to make the most of your Bloomfield College experience through involvement in our programs, students clubs and organizations, and leadership development opportunities. The CSLE staff can be found in the Center for Student Leadership and Engagement office, located on the first floor of the Student Center. Stop by the office and let us help you make the most of your Bloomfield College experience. The Center for Student Leadership & Engagement professional and student staff encourage all Bloomfield College students to take on an active role in the enhancement of their undergraduate experience through involvement in our programs.
Our staff works constantly to develop new and innovative programming that meets the needs of all Bloomfield College students. Our programming is consistent with the College’s Mission, Statement of shared Values, and Curriculum Competencies. We collaborate with several Academic and Student Affairs departments and student clubs and organizations, as well as the Bloomfield College Student Government, to provide activities, events, and other forms of programming that will encourage, engage, and inspire all BC students to become active, contributing members of our campus community. It is our hope that this programming will not only promote a greater sense of school spirit and pride, but will foster social, cultural, professional, leadership, and academic growth and development as well.
Through the years, the Center for Student Leadership and Engagement has been consistent with its commitment in reaching out to new students in every way possible. Mentoring has been an excellent and effective way to connect upperclassmen with freshman students. Not only do the freshman students benefit from this mentoring program but the mentors gain experience as well, since learning goes both ways. In the Sophomore Core class taken by upper-class students, social responsibility is the focus. This is a team-taught course which examines justice and responsibility in a multicultural, multiracial society. Sophomores (who have attended Bloomfield College for at least one year) can become peer mentors to first year students to complete their community service requirements in this class. Through an innovative program called P.A.I.R.S. (Partnerships and Initiatives with Returning Students), new and upper class students are encouraged to make friends and share their college and life experiences as an experiment in social responsibility. Community service takes on a deeper meaning when the community you are working in is your own college community. This is a Win/Win situation for all involved. Brief Description of the P.A.I.R.S. Mentoring Program: Students will fill out a checklist including number of hours spent mentoring A final paper will discuss all activities that were shared by mentor and mentee Both the checklist and the paper must be handed in to the mentor’s Sophomore Core professor and copies must go to the CSLE office, as well If you are interested in becoming a mentor or a mentee, feel free to inquire by calling 973-748-9000 ext. 1144 or 1301.
The Student Center
The Student Center, located at 198 Liberty Street, is a space reserved solely for the students of Bloomfield College. Meeting several of your needs, the Student Center is home to the following:
- The Campus Bookstore
- The Center for Student Leadership and Engagement
- The Deacon's Den
- The Gaming Corner featuring an Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii
- Pool Table
- Computer Café- wireless access for your laptop
- Liberty Street Pizza and Grill
- Meeting Room 1- meeting space, programming space
- Meeting Room 4 - meeting space, programming space
- The Commuter's Lounge- Open to all students with TV, computer bank, microwave, commuter lockers
- The Wellness Center - Health Services, Personal Counselsing, & Spiritual Life
- Student Government Offices
- Greek Council Office
Student Leadership Development Program
Leadership Development supports a student-focused environment that enhances creative expression, motivates students and organizations to achieve goals for individual and groups, and enhances interpersonal connection with others. The department will foster collaboration among campus departments and student organizations toward the goal of presenting a comprehensive campus life program that facilitates social, educational, spiritual, cultural, cognitive, and ethical development. Highlights of our Student Leadership Development Program include:
- The L.E.A.D. Program (Leaders: Emerging and Advanced Development)- A workshop and extra-curricular experience series aimed to reach out to emerging and advanced student leaders with the goal of developing their leadership skills to be successful not only on campus, but also in their future.
- The S.T.E.P. Retreat (Student Training Empowerment Project)- The S.T.E.P. retreat is an overnight experience during which a student’s leadership skills are the focus.
- The D.E.E.P. Retreat (Diversity Education Empowerment Project)- The D.E.E.P. Retreat is an overnight experience during which diversity awareness and education are the focus.
Service Learning & Community Service
Service Learning opportunities provided by the CSLE Office supports an environment for students to learn, develop, and grown through serving others locally, nationally and internationally. CSLE will foster and environment of service learning for students, student clubs and organizations and campus departments with the goal of engaging our students in activities that will foster interpersonal and professional development through service learning.
- The S.E.R.V.E. Program (Students Engaged in Real Volunteer Experiences) - provides students with various trips, events, and activities focused on community service.
- Community Service Hours - Students may record and track their community service hours through the CSLE Office and will be eligible for various awards for services performed.
- Community Service Database - CSLE provides students with a database of community service based organizations and activities that students may become involved with. CSLE will serve as a liasion between students and these organizations to foster greater relationships and involvement.
Meet Our Staff
Phone: 973 748 9000 x1401
Phone: 973 748 9000 x1300
Coordinator, Service Learning & Diversity Initiatives
Phone: 973 748 9000 x1673