Mark your calendar to Join us to celebrate ten years of innovative technology integration in teaching and learning at Bloomfield College.
8:30 -- 10:00 Registration/breakfast (Library Main Floor/TLC Room)
9:00 - 10:20 Hands-on Workshops (Library/College Hall)
10:40 - 11:40 Keynote (College Hall Room 16)
11:50 - 12:40 Lunch (Westminster 110)
1:00 - 3:30 Presentations (Library)
3:30 Raffle (must be present to win) (Library Learning Hub)
Time: 10:40 a.m. - 11:40 a.m. | Location: College Hall Room 16
Derek Weber, Ph.D. - Assistant Professor of Biology, Raritan Valley Community College;
“Empower, Engage, Enlighten, Evaluate: Embracing Technology to Enhance Teaching and Learning”
Two hundred and ten minutes a week. As educators, we are limited to three and a half hours of face time with students per week. How can we best prepare our students in areas of critical thinking and information literacy, as well as disciplinary knowledge, when only 2% of the week is spent in the classroom? How can we leverage the other 98% of the week so learning may occur on demand, anywhere on campus? How do we reach students where they are? Instructional technology provides educators and students the means to improve learning outcomes outside of the four walls of the lecture hall. In this address, Professor Derek Weber will share his experiences using instructional technology as part of a flipped classroom initiative in order to engage, enlighten, empower and evaluate his students in forward-thinking ways.
|Dr. Derek Weber is an Assistant Professor of Biology at Raritan Valley Community College. He earned a B.S. in Chemistry from Moravian College and a PhD. in Bimolecular Chemistry from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. His area of interest is in the use of technology to create a more active and engaging learning community. His efforts have earned him numerous awards, citations and featured presentations. His Principles of Microbiology Course was awarded Best Overall Course by SoftChalk Lesson Builder in 2009. A talk titled “Four Fabulous Free Teaching Technologies” was a featured presentation at the Teaching Professor Conference in 2012. He was honored with an award for Innovative Excellence in Teaching, Learning and Technology at the International Teaching and Learning Conference in April of 2013 and was included by the Chronicle of Higher Education as a top technology innovator.|